At the end of July in Ukraine blooms ambrosia, and this means that there comes a difficult period for people with allergies. Each ragweed plant produces about one billion pollen grains, which are well spread with the wind and can travel great distances (up to 400 km). Therefore, an Allergy to ragweed suffer a very large number of people.
Allergy to ragweed
Doctors believe ragweed pollen is one of the most aggressive allergens. It is from this type of allergies in people often develop bronchial asthma, pollen negatively affects the skin, mucous membranes. To predict the development of an allergic reaction to the flowering of this plant is difficult, but genetic predisposition plays a fairly significant role.
Even healthy people can become allergic if you will be in a few weeks to breathe air with a large amount of pollen ragweed. Unfortunately, in most cases, allergic to it is almost impossible to cure, you can only learn a certain way to control her symptoms.
Allergy symptoms arise after the ragweed pollen enters the body through the mucous membranes or skin. The immune system tries to protect the person from the allergen, using special chemicals. Because of this, the patient will experience these symptoms:
- runny nose (mucus is often omitted in the throat and causes a cough);
- itching and redness of the eyes;
- watery eyes;
- feeling of tickling in the throat;
- itching of the skin, the appearance of lesions;
- cough, often with wheezing;
- pain in the throat.
Long-term effects allergies to ragweed doctors include:
- sleep problems;
- the decreased concentration;
- swelling of the lips;
- congestion in the ears;
- loss of smell and taste.
How to deal with an Allergy to ragweed?
Ragweed blooms from late July to mid-September, and sometimes longer. So 2 months a year allergies will feel significant discomfort, which, moreover, has the potential to develop into a serious disease such as bronchial asthma. Therefore, to deal with allergies is possible and necessary, just should to know how to do it.
You first need to determine ragweed is the cause of allergies. To make this a special Allergy tests, also the patient will be asked to donate a blood test for immunoglobulin E.
The best way to deal with the problem
– elimination of the allergen. If possible, you should plan a vacation for the period of the flowering of ambrosia and go to the region where this plant grows. If this is not possible, you should apply the medication.
So, treatment of Allergy to ragweed includes the following recommendations:
- If possible, remove the allergen (go on vacation).
- To take antihistamines, medicines against itching eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, etc (use only on prescription).
- From late July to try to keep the Windows in the house and in the car closed, it is better to use air conditioning. There are also special grid from the pollen, which can be installed on Windows.
- If the Allergy is very bothering, it is better to move down the street in a special mask-respirator.
- Should bathe Pets, especially those that go outdoors,because they can bring pollen into the room in his fur.
- Better to take a shower after coming from the street, have to wash my hair.
- You must limit yourself to eating certain foods: nuts, sunflower seeds, halva, honey, sunflower oil, melons. Using them may be cross-Allergy to ragweed.
Doctors say that to successfully deal with any kind of Allergy is now possible by means of specific immunotherapy. Its principle is to teach the immune system to recognize it is the pollen of ragweed not to give him such a strong immune response. This treatment is quite expensive and lengthy, but positive results are also marked. In this case, the doctor should be contacted even in the winter, and not wait for the arrival of allergies. Effective treatment is only in remission and not acute illness.