Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Is it possible to cure Lou Gehrig’s disease?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (als), or Lou Gehrig’s disease is called degenerative, slowly progressive disease of the nervous system, which is characterized by loss of motor functions, gradual paralysis and muscle atrophy. Lou Gehrig – the famous baseball player who had the disease. People with the disease often die of paralysis of the muscles responsible for respiratory movements. People simply can’t breathe and dies.

Symptoms and types of BASS

Most often this disease affects people from 40 to 60 years. About 10% of them get BASS inherited from the remaining 90% of doctors can not determine the cause of the disease.

In the early stages of Lou Gehrig’s disease makes itself felt by convulsions, twitching, muscle stiffness, some weakness in legs, arms. Diagnosing the BASS is extremely difficult, doing this at the stage of muscle atrophy.

Classification of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis depends on what part of the body he struck. There are such forms of the disease:

  • The BASS of the limbs. In this form of the disease suffer ¾ of all patients with ALS. First, the disease affects both legs, then can get to the upper limbs.
  • Bulbar ALS. It is characterized by difficulties with speech, the patient begins to twang, can’t control the volume of his speech, it is difficult to swallow. This is the most dangerous form of the disease Lou Gehrig’s disease, because it affects the respiratory nerves before all, and people just choking.
  • BASS upper motor nerves. It leads to hypertonicity of muscles.
  • BASS lower motor nerves. Its symptoms – cramps, atrophy of muscles, their involuntary twitching.

The consequences of the disease Lou Gehrig. Ways to help the patient.

Over time, the development of the disease will lead to the fact that the patient cannot move without assistance. This disease does not affect mental abilities of the person, but it is from a certain direction and get a sick depressed and painfully waiting for its irreversible end. In the last stages of breathing patients with Lou Gehrig’s disease can only with the help of a ventilator. Difficulties arise with the supply: due to atrophy of the muscles of the person is difficult to swallow. Wait for death you have six months to several years after diagnosis of ALS. The world only one known case of a patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a condition which eventually stabilized. This astrophysicist Stephen Hawking, whose als was diagnosed in the 60-ies of XX century, but he is still alive. However, completely paralyzed and lost the ability to speak (uses a speech synthesizer).

Cure BASS medicine can not yet. Medicines can only slightly slow the progression of the disease. But scientists are actively studying this disease, recently raised the topic of using stem cells to combat it. The researchers suggest that stem cells to replace motor neurons. But all tests are still at the preclinical stage.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a terrible disease, the nature of which still remains unclear. The man she has overtaken, realizes that he is slowly dying, it day by day loses its vital functions, and this is the worst party BASS. But there’s always the hope that scientists can find cures for diseases such as Lou Gehrig’s disease.