Chest pain can be caused by a number of diseases and conditions. And they are not always a signal of malfunctions in the cardiovascular system. But any soreness or sharp pain in the breast require treatment to the doctor. Let’s look at exactly those cases when the chest pain (or chest) is a symptom of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
What is the sternum and can it hurt?
The sternum is a flat bone which has an elongated shape and is located in the center of the chest of a man. The bone are important for the human body organs – heart, lungs, stomach and others Mention the pain in the sternum, mainly referring to pain in the chest, and not in the bone. And cause these pain syndromes can organs and muscles located in the chest, also the chest area can give the pain associated with other organs and systems.
Pain in the chest may be a pulling, aching or Vice versa – and severe burning. Matters location of pain (center, left, right), the radiation (which gives pain in the arm, shoulder, etc.), time of day, when the pain is bothering most of all, physical actions, enhancing or reducing the pain (cough, body position). All these points are important to note and talk about them when referring to the doctor.
When the problem is in the heart and urgently needs medical assistance
It is important to pay attention to the character of the pain behind the breastbone, caused by a number of cardiovascular diseases. Some types of pain is the signal about emergency hospitalization and emergency medical care. And some can be booked for a checkup with a cardiologist and go through a survey. So, it is not always a serious condition requiring immediate hospitalization, accompanied by severe pain. And Vice versa. Immediate access to medical care require:
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack): pain can be as oppressive and sharp, localized left of sternum and radiating to the left arm. In severe cases, the pain lasts about a day (if the person is not applying for Medicaid), not be removed the medicines and gives to all parts of the body upper half.
- Aortic aneurysm: pain is sudden, severe, radiates to the back, localized in the area of the blades.
- Pulmonary embolism – the pain very sharp.
Chest pain requiring consultation with a cardiologist
Serious cardiac disease, which can lead to a heart attack is angina (angina pectoris). When strokes reduces the provision of oxygen to the heart, the person feels chest pain oppressive in nature. Sometimes the pain can be intense and accompanied by severe weakness, nausea, sweating. But, unlike a heart attack, angina these symptoms pass after 15-30 minutes.
The chest pain is of a different nature, as well as dizziness and headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath and sleep disturbances may be accompanied by:
- Myocarditis, pericarditis, and other inflammatory diseases of the cardiac tissue
- Cardiomyopathy – a disease that leads to heart failure due to dysfunction of the blood pumping
- Mitral heart valve in which the valve is fully closed
- Atherosclerosis – a condition in which the walls of blood vessels formed cholesterol plaques.
These diseases of the heart and blood vessels, a person could “earn” bad habits (alcohol, Smoking), poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, stress. Therefore, for any pain in the chest it is important to find the true cause and adjust your lifestyle to avoid further health problems.