Some people from time to time experiencing a panic attack is a sudden rush of anxiety and fear, which is very difficult to control. When the heart jumps out of chest when breathing hard, one feels dizziness, pain in the stomach, all this may be indicative of elemental panic. If the attacks are repeated again and again, they definitely should be treated because they can develop into panic disorder is a serious neurological disease.
Signs of a panic attack
How does a man understand that she had a panic attack? The symptoms develop suddenly and reach a peak within 10 minutes. Most seizures last about 20-30 minutes, sometimes an hour or more.
About a panic attack can indicate such features:
- shortness of breath;
- heart palpitations;
- pain and discomfort in the chest;
- the feeling of unreality of the events;
- gastric disorder;
- poor thermoregulation (feeling of cold or heat);
- loss of control over the situation.
Very often people confuse a panic attack with a heart attack because their symptoms are similar.
How to help yourself during an anxiety attack?
If people understood that she had a panic attack, you should use one or more of the following tips:
- To apply the technique of breathing. During a panic attack breathing becomes irregular and shallow. Often when we breathe, we exhale carbon dioxide more than usual and blood cells difficult to saturate the body with oxygen. As a result, the brain receives not enough oxygen, leading to oxygen starvation, weakness, dizziness. That is, to overcome an attack, you need to slow your breathing. A person should focus on how she is breathing: hold your breath for 8-10 seconds and then slowly exhale. Then inhale for a count of three, and with the same account to exhale. And so as long as the attack does not take place.
- Distraction. From unpleasant events and experiences help to distract pleasant memories. It can be a funny case of life, a fragment of a favorite movie that.
- To look at ourselves “from outside”. This is called the technique of removal, which is as follows: the most common experiences of other people are perceived not as painful as your own. So at the first signs of panic ought to look at ourselves, fixing everything that is happening, but from the point of view of an outside observer. It helps to calm down and objectively evaluate their experiences.
- To change the nature of thinking. Habitual behaviors are extremely viable because supported by human belief. This so-called negative thinking: the habit to see in everything a threat and to prepare for the worst scenario. If the panic attack has happened, the man should learn to think positively. This will help the following exercise: find a negative statement to refute it and replace it with positive. Thus man is ready for a positive train of thought, and when you notice the panic attack symptoms what is coming will be able to calm myself by tuning in are good.
It should be understood that these tips can help you overcome a panic attack once or twice, but they do not eliminate the cause of a panic attack. Especially if it occurs over and over again. In this case, it is necessary to turn to the doctor-the psychotherapist who will help you to understand yourself, your fears, worries, complexes. Just realize the problem it can be overcome.