Inflammation, or neuritis of the facial nerve is a neurological disease that causes paralysis of the facial muscles. The paralysis may be total or partial, causing asymmetry in the face. Most often, the inflammation is unilateral, and the face becomes distorted, that it looks pretty unsightly.
Symptoms and causes of neuritis of the facial nerve
Inflammation of the facial nerve develops gradually: first, a person hurts the ear, then the facial muscles in certain parts lose their mobility. To face left skewed for life, you need to consult a doctor immediately after the appearance of the first symptoms of the disease. These include:
- Disorder of mobility of the facial muscles.
- The appearance of asymmetry in the face: the mouth angle is lowered, nasolabial fold is smoothed unevenly.
- Eyelid of one eye does not close completely.
- Pain in the ear.
- Disruption of taste buds.
- Dryness or, on the contrary, lacrimation from the eye.
- Fear of loud noises, hearing loss.
Why is the facial nerve can become inflamed? Several reasons for this:
- Hypothermia, therefore the disease is relevant, primarily, for the cold season.
- The result of the impact of the draught on the face.
- Violation of blood supply of the nerve.
- A complication of otitis media, mumps, measles.
- The result of a traumatic brain injury.
- Problems with the cardiovascular system, for example, atherosclerosis.
- The brain tumor.
How to deal with neuritis of the facial nerve?
As already mentioned, to treat inflammation of the facial nerve need to urgently, otherwise the person risks to be left with a distorted face for life. Proper treatment in most cases ensures complete restoration of function of the facial muscles.
Inflammation of the facial nerve heals the doctor-the neurologist. Each therapy is individual, it depends on the degree of development of the disease, patient’s age, presence of comorbidities. The average course of treatment lasts about a month, but all individually.
For the treatment of neuritis of the facial nerve using the resonance wave therapy, acupuncture, injections, rehabilitation, special simulators, the blockade of the joints and spine, physiotherapy, medical gymnastics and massage. To treatment as effective as possible, it is impossible to overstrain the muscles of the face, should not speak, not to SuperCool the damaged area, a little soft food to reduce strain of the jaw.
If treatment is chosen correctly, will soon be able to eliminate the bias of the person, improve the mobility of the facial muscles, swelling and inflammation.
Prevention of neuritis of the facial nerve includes the following recommendations:
- Not SuperCool, keep your neck and back warm.
- Be careful on slippery roads, to avoid injuries.
- Time to treat infections of the ear and nasopharynx.
- To avoid draughts.
Inflammation of the facial nerve is a disease that can be cured, if the time to seek medical help. To run the same it is by no means impossible, otherwise the consequences could be felt throughout later life. All neurological problems need time to identify and treat.