Lung cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in the world. It is based on the malignant degeneration of epithelial cells of the lung a malignant tumor. This type of cancer has a very high mortality rate, so it should pay special attention. Who often suffers from lung cancer, and can protect themselves from this disease?
Factors of development of lung cancer
Most often, lung cancer common in men older than 50 years who smoke. Although there has recently been a trend towards reducing the average age of the patients. According to statistics 10% of patients with a diagnosis of “lung cancer” means persons younger than 45 years, 52% aged 46 to 60 years and 38% – from 61 to 75 years. Much more common in men, but women with this disease may not be avoided.
Lung cancer refers to the aggressive forms of cancer. Higher the chances of survival have the patients diagnosed with peripheral lesions of the lung, is much lower – with the Central form of defeat.
Why do malignant tumors occur in the lungs, the medicine is not yet know. However, there are risk factors that contribute to the development of lung cancer. These include:
- Smoking. More than 80% of lung cancer patients are active smokers. In addition, dangerous is passive Smoking.
- The effect of radon. This gas is in the soil, in the basements and first floors of homes. Radiation from radon contributes to the development of mutations in cells of the respiratory tract, including the lungs.
- Genetic predisposition. In the presence of lung cancer among blood relatives the likelihood of developing this disease increases.
- His advanced age. Physiological aging of the body reduces its resistance to malignant processes.
- Professional activities. The likelihood of developing lung cancer is higher among representatives of professions related to exposure to fugitive dust-producing carcinogens. This, for example, asbestos, cadmium, chromium, arsenic.
- Chronic disease of the lungs. The risk of malignancy is increased after myocardial tuberculosis and other pulmonary diseases.
Treatment of lung cancer
In the early stages of development of the disease it is quite difficult to diagnose since the symptoms are blurred. Later the patient occurs Harkany blood, increased fatigue, rapid weight loss, his cough when breathing may occur bad breath.
The methods of diagnosis of lung cancer include: blood test for tumour markers, bronchoscopy, chest x-ray. For visualization of the tumor, determine its size and localization using CT. You may also need a biopsy of the pathologically affected tissue.
For the treatment of lung cancer there can be used methods of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, also used surgical intervention (which is possible only under the condition isolated, not common to adjacent tissues and organs of a tumor).
Lung cancer often develops rapidly, even immediately. Besides, it can cause a secondary inflammatory and septic processes, pneumonia, bronchitis. When lymph nodes are inflamed. Patient possible the rapid development of respiratory failure.
The best prevention for lung cancer is the observance of the principles of a healthy lifestyle. It is very important to finally quit Smoking and protect family members from secondhand smoke, which is also extremely dangerous. At the first suspicious symptoms should consult a doctor, as early treatment gives the patient a much better chance at life.