Ataxia – a violation of coordination, which is not related to the weakness of the muscles. Most of all it concerns the upper and lower extremities when a person actually stops to control their movements, very frightening and can cause injury and other dangerous effects. Ataxia is not an independent disease, it develops against the background of other diseases of the nervous system of man. What are its symptoms, causes and treatment options?
Causes and symptoms of ataxia
Because ataxia is not an independent disease, the cause of development is quite a lot. The most common ones are:
- acute cerebrovascular accident;
- brain tumors;
- head injuries;
- dementia (dementia);
- other pathologies of the brain;
- neuroma vestibular nerve;
- poisoning the body some medicines (such as sleeping pills);
- deficiency of vitamin B12.
Symptoms dystaxia following:
- Precariousness man standing.
- Rocking from side to side, in which there is a viable fall.
- Gait disturbance, it becomes uncertain, shaky.
- Problems with precise execution of simple movements (for example, it becomes difficult to bring the spoon to his mouth).
- Speech disorders and breathing rhythm.
- Dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting – symptoms of certain areas of the brain.
- Significant deterioration of handwriting (it is difficult to read what people wrote).
If the person has even the slightest signs of coordination, it should immediately consult a doctor, because the causes of this phenomenon can be quite severe. First, it is advisable to consult a family doctor or therapist who will provide referrals to appropriate specialists: neurologist, otolaryngologist, surgeon. Also, the patient should be prepared for what will need to spend a lot of diagnostic procedures to determine the causes of ataxia. This may be an MRI, CT scan, blood tests and urine tests and more. It may also be necessary to consult a neurosurgeon.
Treatment of coordination – a treatment of the disease, the root causes. Sometimes it helps to conservative treatment and sometimes is necessary and operation. For example, surgery may help in tumors, cerebral hemorrhage, etc.
The successful treatment of ataxia should take all measures to normalize blood pressure, improve cerebral circulation. If the cause of poor coordination of movements is infectious brain damage, patients need antibiotics. In any case, the treatment strategy determined by the physician.
Possible complications and prevention ataxia
Complications from ataxia clear: without proper treatment unsteadiness of gait and poor coordination of movements stored for a long period of time, and perhaps for life. This greatly affects the quality of human life, its negative impact on social and career. In addition, loss of coordination is dangerous in terms of possible injuries. In addition, ataxia usually cause very serious disease of the nervous system. If not treated, the patient can simply die. Therefore, preventive measures to combat ataxia are:
- timely treatment of all infectious diseases (that they did not give complications in the brain);
- Healthy Lifestyle;
- proper balanced diet;
- Timely access to a doctor in case of health problems;
- blood pressure control.
If you follow these guidelines dystaxia becomes urgent problem for you.