Epilepsy: myths about the disease and to help the person during a seizure

Epilepsy is a chronic brain disease, a symptom of which are seizures that occur during a synchronous excitation of neurons in the area of the cortex of the brain. Previously called epilepsy. Seizures can appear at any age, but occur most frequently in children and the elderly. In modern society there are many myths about epilepsy, which hinder patients to provide effective assistance during a seizure. And it was from fast and adequate reaction of others often depends on the health and life of man.

Myths about epilepsy and proper aid to the patient during a seizure

Here are the most popular myths about epilepsy:

  • During a seizure compulsory convulsions and frothing at the mouth. Actually, quite often an epileptic seizure is manifested quite mild and unnoticeable to others. For example, the patient may not lose consciousness, but just look very tired, distracted, will not be enough to speak and move, he can shake hands, he can suddenly start to jump in place. Sometimes a seizure is characterized by momentary “off” from the reality of it then not even remember.
  • To help the patient during a seizure is possible only through a gag. Almost all sure that, when an epileptic fit, the first thing to do is put in the patient’s mouth something hard, so he wouldn’t swallow his tongue. But often such action leads to injury of the jaw, broken teeth, and if the subject is still caught in the throat, the patient runs the risk of choking. When the seizure is very likely vomiting and profuse flow of saliva, so the man should lay on its side, put a pillow under his head, to remove sharp and hard object that may injure, shoot at presence points. And then be sure to seek medical help.
  • Allow the patient to sense the smell of onions will help. In fact, the smell of onions will not help to bring man to consciousness, but may be hurt: it provokes an increased secretion of mucus, which clogs the airway, and the patient may suffocate.
  • Epilepsy is incurable. People sure cure epilepsy impossible, but it isn’t. Competent treatment is able to stop epileptic seizures in 60% of patients with this disease. The remaining 40% of cases will help surgical intervention.
  • Epilepsy is a childhood disease. Currently, this statement is incorrect. Indeed, in children this disease occurs from childhood, and in adolescence the frequency of seizures dramatically reduced. But adults can also “earn” this disease, having survived a bullet wound, a car accident, brain tumor or meningitis. Currently with epilepsy often suffer and the elderly, after the age of 65 years.
  • Epilepsy is a consequence of dementia. This is a fundamentally wrong statement: this disease suffer such great minds as Socrates, Napoleon, Alexander the great, Caesar, van Gogh. Seizures do not affect mental abilities.
  • Epilepsy and sport are incompatible. This is not true: epileptics recommended physical activity, but prohibited classes team sports: football, basketball, etc. Also should not patients this disease go mountain climbing, swimming, it can be very dangerous.

Epilepsy is though unpleasant, but often curable disease. After providing the first adequate assistance to a person during a seizure, you must immediately seek medical help.