Children’s psyche is very vulnerable, so many events can lead to injury. For example, a child may be deeply moved to hit accident, fire, illness or death of a loved one, parental divorce, and the like. If after certain events, she starts to behave unusual way, it is worth considering. Perhaps now the child will need help to overcome psychological trauma.
How may occur the psychological trauma of the child?
Children can quite differently react to the same event. One kid doesn’t scare the neighbor’s dog, and the other from his tantrum or starts Satinato.
Children’s reaction to trauma can be as follows:
- The child withdraws, loses interest in other people and the events that occur, it becomes silent, indifferent.
- Preoccupation with the events that triggered the stress. It can occur in games or pictures show these events, in nightmares.
- Anxiety, signs of which are poor concentration, compulsive behavior, fear of separation from mother or other loved ones, irritability, short temper.
- Headache and abdominal pain, delayed reactions.
Sometimes the stress symptoms do not manifest immediately after the event that provoked it, and a few days later. It is important to be able to draw a logical relationship, understand the child and her condition.
What an adult to help the child to overcome the stress?
So, what can adults do? First, you need to talk with your child about what happened. But the conversation needs to be quiet, the child must Express their trust in adults. You should try to convince the child that everything is over, never again, she was safe. You must listen to the child speak to her seriously, on an equal footing, otherwise it will not work. It is necessary to explain to her that in all that happened, not her fault.
Secondly, you should work on your reaction to the events that provoked the child’s stress. If she sees the alert mom or dad, their fear or suffering, as a mirror, will reflect the same reaction. Also in this difficult period, you should pay more attention to vulnerable children, talking with her, reading a bedtime story, hug that she literally physically feel protected. However, it should not be too hard to protect the child: she must realize that her world, even without parents around, is quite safe.
Thirdly, it is necessary to keep a familiar routine. Daily predictable routine acts on children as a sedative.
Practical tips for parents
Quick to forget all the bad children with the help of such exercises:
- Active, outdoor games, especially in the company of peers.
- Playing sports, in clubs.
- Bathing in a warm bath, massage can help baby relax.
You should leave in day schedule time for fun activities: go for a cartoon or Comedy, go to the Park. Do not force the child is, but rest and sleep should be complete.
The main thing you need parents to understand is that:
- Children, like adults, will sooner or later cope with stress, just give them time and show your support.
- How adults overcome a crisis situation and respond to the child’s behavior in this case, will largely determine the future in its ability to deal with stress. Be a good example.
- You need to tell the child about the facts of the events that shook her world, easy to understand language, to avoid uncertainty and misunderstanding.
If the family to overcome the stress of the child cannot, should seek help from a psychologist. Because childhood trauma can have an impact on the whole future life of man.
That our children are vulnerable and need our help, remember always. The children’s day once again reminds adults about it.